Based in Boulder, CO, Melton Design Build is one of the top design-build firms in the country. With a focus on ecstatic clients and happy employees, we’ve made it possible for hundreds of residents to enjoy well-designed homes that enhance their lifestyles since 1993.
We’re looking for the next great leader of our production department. We’re seeking an experienced team-focused leader who is comfortable leading a team of Project Managers, Superintendents, Lead Carpenters, Carpenters, and other production team members as they work on various project sizes ranging from small details to full custom homes. We are looking for someone who can manage the production of construction projects so they come in on budget, on-time, and with very satisfied customers. This person enjoys leading a team, is organized, works well in a team environment, is a great communicator, and can prioritize while efficiently completing exceptional work. Must have hands-on construction experience (preferably residential remodels), supervisory experience (including hiring & performance reviews), and experience with the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Represent the Production Department in the development of projects through design & estimating.
- Based on our production schedule, communicate effectively with Sales regarding the start date of our next remodel project.
- Review plans, estimates, and production packages for completeness; accept or reject them for Production.
- Achieve the goals for the Production Department in terms of schedule performance, finishing jobs with no (zero) punch list, revenue, and profitability.
- Fully implement the Lead Carpenter System, our Lead Carpenter & Superintendent job descriptions, and the relevant responsibility matrices.
- Minimize your involvement with the details of remodel projects. Spend most of your time managing, delegating, organizing, scheduling, forecasting and coaching.
- Manage all Production staff and train new employees, schedule, and interview new prospects.
- Conduct monthly dept meetings to include professional and safety training.
- Ensure the safety of our job sites.
- Properly maintain all company vehicles used by Production employees.
- Oversee the scheduling of all construction work and the employees necessary to get it produced.
- Continually improve our production processes and update SOP’s as needed.
- Conduct performance reviews for all Project Managers and other field employees.
- Enforce company policies, such as time card submittal, etc. This involves periodic job site audits to look at surface protection, start and stop times, etc.
- Review the production staff’s timecards.
- Represent Melton Construction in a professional and respectful manner.
- Harness technology to make Production more efficient and effective.
- Encourage the Production Department to continually have a sense of urgency and complete projects with high quality and efficiency.
- Work with Melton’s Design Department to continually improve the information on our plans and other specifications so that construction is smooth and efficient.
- Organize and submit Department metrics and photos to the Company at monthly meetings.
- Schedule and conduct project retrospectives & production kick offs.
- Schedule and conduct weekly meetings with Project Managers.
- Review all schedules created for production and approve.
- Attend Sales and Design meetings.
- Assign a PM for all new projects and communicate with clients (Melton welcome letter) approximate start date and their PM.
- Forecast labor needs and keep a schedule updated to share with department leaders.
- Gather info and produce monthly bonus reports to production staff.
- Approve Tool Program inquiries & PTO requests.
- Attend weekly department strategy meeting with department leaders to review issues.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong communication and people management skills
- Skilled with Microsoft Excel, Word, Project, and Outlook e-mail
- Strong attention to detail
- Knowledgeable about residential and commercial construction, and the processes involved
- Scheduling experience
- Emotional intelligence
- Building and exhibiting team member trust
- Curious and empathetic
- Engaging in effective and productive communication
- Engaging in unfiltered conflict around ideas
- Commitment to decisions and plans of action
- Holding oneself and other accountable for delivering against the agreed upon action plans
- Focusing on the achievement of collective results
Education & Experience:
- Minimum 5 years of experience as a direct supervisor hiring people and conducting performance reviews.
- Minimum 10 years of hands-on construction experience, preferably on residential remodels.
- Minimum 8 years of experience with Microsoft Excel, Word, Project, and Outlook e-mail.
Melton offers an excellent benefits package, including:
- 100% paid health insurance
- Dental and vision insurance
- Healthcare and Dependent Care FSAs
- Short Term Disability
- Employee Wellness Reimbursements
- Company-matching Simple IRA
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Paid holidays
- Competitive salary
- Fun & rewarding place to work
- Monthly employee events and annual parties
- Core values that include integrity, respect, dependability, and continuous improvement
- Training and career advancement opportunities
- Family-friendly atmosphere
Position Pay Information:
Full Time (40 hours)
Salary: $105,000-$115,000 Annually
Why work with Melton
Health & Retirement
We offer 100% paid premium medical health insurance, dental and vision insurance, and a company-matching Simple IRA retirement plan.
Fun & Creative Environment
From monthly employee events and community involvement opportunities to a dedication to work-life balance and training and career advancement opportunities, our team is committed to making Melton a rewarding and fun place to work.
Our competitive compensation packages include paid vacation, sick time, and seven paid holidays per year.
Nothing here relevant?
If you’d like to join us but don’t see a good match for your skills and experience, reach out and send us your resume anyway, we might have something available in the near future.