At Melton Design Build, we specialize in converting our client’s dreams into reality with our award-winning residential design and construction services. If you’d like a rewarding position with an organization that promotes a strong work-life balance, respect among its employees, offers an excellent benefits package (including 100% paid health insurance), and is a fun place to work, we’d love to talk to you!
At a Glance:
The Controller is the leader of our accounting and finance team. This talented individual is responsible for managing a staff that does much of their day-to-day work in QuickBooks, and will also do some of the accounting work themselves. They’ll work closely with the General Manager and Owner, and will report on the financial condition of the company, make significant financial decisions, establish and monitor the annual budget, and track our job cost performance. The Controller will also participate as an engaged member of the company’s Leadership Team, which will continue to help guide the company for years to come.
Job Description & Qualifications:
Responsible for company accounting and finances. Manage a staff that does much of the day-to-day work in QuickBooks, and also do some of the accounting work yourself. Work closely with the General Manager and Owners and report on the financial condition of the company, make significant financial decisions, establish and monitor the annual budget, and track our job cost performance. Also, participate as an engaged member of the company’s Leadership Team.
- Billing and accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, assets and depreciation, taxes, job costing, and financial statements.
- Oversee payroll and financial aspects of benefits administration, both of which are handled by Human Resources.
- Provide status of the financial condition of the company by collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and reporting key data.
- Develop, train, mentor, and manage your accounting staff.
- Ensure our accounting is accurate and gives us a true and clear financial picture.
- Evaluate and streamline processes to increase Melton’s effectiveness and improve the overall company.
- Evaluate and advise on the financial impact of long-range planning and initiatives.
- Financial advisor on any contracts the company is considering entering into.
- Analyze estimate vs actual reports for individual job and aggregate issues.
- Collect and present operational metrics.
- Take full advantage of all favorable tax codes.
- Analyze company financial trends to assist the General Manager and department managers in performing their responsibilities.
- Active Leadership Team (LT) member who helps develop solutions to business challenges.
- Manage the tax prep process and work with our CPA to get our tax returns done.
- Harness Ready Build (software) to automate and streamline accounting and reporting.
- Manage and oversee our various types of insurance and costs.
- Maintain and update our QuickBooks accounting software.
- Obtain and maintain company licenses necessary for our smooth operation.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Good manager and leader of a team.
- Good understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Very proficient with Microsoft Excel.
- Proficient with QuickBooks, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Outlook.
- Good strategic thinker.
- Understanding of percentage completion/work in process accounting is a plus.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor degree in accounting or finance. CPA or MBA is a plus.
- Ten years of hands-on managerial accounting experience.
- Four years of direct employee management experience.
- 3+ years of job cost or product cost experience.
- 4+ years of hands-on QuickBooks experience.
- 2+ years of experience running payroll.
- Experience in the construction industry is preferred.
If you are interested in this role and meet the above qualifications, we’d love to speak with you! Please submit a cover letter & resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org